Photographs by Vanessa Gillen

Photographs by Vanessa Gillen
The evening view from our house

Tuesday, April 5, 2011

An Englishman abroad

We recently were visited by our lovely 'Englishman abroad' - Rupert Chetwynd. I managed to entice him up to our corner of the world just before he departed for India where his wife Luciana was working on a film with Roland Joffe. 

Arriving in typical style with akubra, riding boots and a small backpack, Rupert delighted us with his wonderful stories, experiences and views on all things.  I managed to harness his extraordinary mind and organise afternoon-tea with some of the Cooktown ladies so he could impart his thoughts on the local museum, ideas for the Re-enactment Association and other tourism ideas for the area.

 Other than that he delighted in walking the town and we showed him as much as we could even when the weather was less than desirable.  He was there when we first saw the birdwing butterfly in the garden of our new house and then again at Finch Bay and again and again. Whenever I see a birdwing now I always think of Rupert.


After a trip to Trevethan Falls we spied some boxing wallabies which was so funny to watch.  We also managed to find a glorious day north of Cooktown and Elim Beach, Cape Bedford and shared a picnic lunch on the beach, a scavenge for drift wood, shells and other detritus to be found on our wild beaches.


Rupert is married to my mother's cousin but I have spent many a dinner round his table over the last 30 years, either in London, Suffolk, Italy or Malaysia. It was lovely to show him our new corner of the world and introduce him to our kids and cook a couple of meals for him. 

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,
    I'm really sorry to contact you in this way... :) But let me introduce myself. My name is Arianna Pettinari from Tuscany, Italy. My parents are Luciana and Rupert friends, but we lost all the contacts after we change home. They sell their home in near I live to another actor, Alan Rickman and I try to see him to ask Rupert contact, but I never met him again... So please can you give to them my e-mail add? ariannapettinari@gmail.com. Sorry again for the way I contact you, but I realy need to contact them!!! THANKYOU SO MUCH!!! :) And have a nice week. p.s sorry for my enghlish and my grammathic!

    ReplyDelete