Photographs by Vanessa Gillen

Photographs by Vanessa Gillen
The evening view from our house

Saturday, March 13, 2010

A grey day becomes a Blog inspiration

The other night I hired the DVD Julie and Julia with Merryl Streep and finally got over my fear about getting on with this blog. I have had the site almost ready to go for at least 6 mths of the 8 that we have now lived in Cooktown, but was concerned about the reality of actually sending it off on a regular basis with something of interest to say.

The thing is that up here, the life we live is so interesting that I actually havent had the time to sit down much and record all the amazing experiences we are having. Anyway...enough prevaricating! Lets get on with it and let me share with you some of our adventures.

Today is a cool, windy and grey day with intermittent showers. Rare in this beautiful place. It is now the middle of March and supposedly we have been in the 'wet' season or monsoon season since December. In all it has probably rained for about 6 days in that time. Far less than in Sydney I can tell you. It occasionally rains in the night for a short time but thats about it. The only thing I have noticed is that the humidity is so high here that even with temps of 32 celcius the clothes dont dry if it has rained and they are on the line.

Yes, sweat is a major issue here - it is hot and sweaty although temps have never gone over 34 celsius. I have never done so much washing in my life - changes of clothes and showers a couple of times a day - but boy does it do wonders for your skin! Like a permanent facial! Speaking of facials, a friend has a dam at her farm which has such amazing fine mud in it that she has given her friends jars of the stuff and we all sit around with mud on our faces. Not sure if it works but it is pretty funny!

I am sitting looking out at the view that you see on the site - its not that colour every day - but that photo is un-edited. That day for some reason, the colours were exactly what you see and I raced out with my camera to capture this image.

The other photo for this week is of the Cooktown orchid - a very beautiful but rare flower found in this area but not often seen anymore. People started stealing them from the Botanic gardens and roadsides so those that know where they are, dont reveal their whereabouts. The other thing is that they dont normally appear until May but this little beauty appeared in late January.

Ok now that I have got over the hiccup of getting going with this Blog, I feel like I could write for ages so I will sign off now and start on the second one which I will send next week.
Thanks for reading..............

No comments:

Post a Comment